Mangini Actuarial and Risk Advisory LLC
Services for Direct Insurers:
- ORSA/ERM Strategy: Analyze/optimize how reinsurance programs fit strategically in risk mitigation programs
- PBR Integration: Review reinsurance strategies to optimize treatment under Principles-Based Valuation
- Entering New Markets/Distribution Channels?: Receive guidance on underwriting, pricing and product design choices without ceding away profits to a reinsurer in exchange for their "free services"
- Dispute Resolution: Assess merits/quantify actuarial, underwriting, administrative disagreements
- Arbitration: Expert witness who's been both a reinsurance buyer and senior reinsurance executive that has held pricing, valuation, and administration oversight roles
Services for Reinsurers with Non-Traditional Sources of Capital:
- Private equity firm or "non-traditional player" entering the reinsurance space?: Work with an advisor who co-founded a US-domiciled life and health reinsurer and assisted a client who founded an annuity reinsurer
- Already launched reinsurance operations? Consider "co-sourcing" key underwriting, pricing, risk management, or valuation functionality for the medium-term, to focus on growing your business until you eventually "in-source" key staff and skills
- Provide stakeholders/investors "peace of mind" as you build a book of business: Independent peer review of underwriting, pricing, reinsurance structuring, financing, valuation, and risk management until you've established a track record.
Customized Solutions from Both Sides of the Negotiation Table:
Benefit from the expert advice of an experienced actuary, risk manager, and underwriter who has been "in your shoes" and "on the other side of the negotiating table" as both a reinsurance buyer and seller. Your consultant needs to bring a holistic, multi-disciplinary approach to your concerns and have a proven track record of results earned both within the reinsurance sector and as a consultant.
Relevant Experience :
- Member, Academy of Actuaries ASOP 11 Update Task Force: Charged with Revising the Actuarial Standard of Practice Governing ALL US Practicing Actuaries with Respect to Financial Reporting for Reinsurance
- Member, Board of Directors of three (3) Barbados-domiciled Life, Health, Annuity, and P&C reinsurers
- Member, Board of Directors of a US-domiciled Life and Health reinsurer
- Chief/Appointed Actuary and Chief Risk Officer for a Life and Health reinsurance start-up
- Vice President, Life & Health Reinsurance Pricing for a P&C, Health, and Life special-risks reinsurer
- VP and Department Head- Life & Health Reinsurance Pricing for an Annuity, Life, and Health reinsurer
- Head of Reinsurance Purchasing for an Industry Leading US-domiciled Term and UL direct insurer
Track Record of Success and Client Engagements:
- Provided private-equity funded Bermuda reinsurance client with "peer pricing review"
- Co-Founded US-domiciled Life and Health Reinsurer- developing business plans, underwriting and pricing processes and manuals, and Enterprise Risk Management processes and controls; built US GAAP, US Statutory, and US Tax financial reporting infrastructure; Chief Actuary liaison to regulators, rating agencies, external audit
- Passed new rigorous post-financial crisis risk-focused State Financial Examination with no criticisms
- Assisted a client green-field a US-domiciled GMXB Annuity insurance and reinsurance subsidiary. Developed stochastic pricing models, product designs, modeled alternative compensation schemes; assisted with SEC filings and developed spreadsheet-based corporate modeling and financial reporting tool under US GAAP, Stat and Tax